POMPTON LAKES VOL. FIRE DEPARTMENT, NJ
Pompton Lakes Volunteer Fire Department
P.O Box 74, 1 Passaic Ave.
Pompton Lakes, NJ 07442
Copyright 2009-2021, PLVFD
Some good advice for everyone and every family:
Fire can spread rapidly through your home, leaving you as little as two minutes to
escape safely. Your ability to get out depends on advance warning from smoke alarms,
and advance planning of a home fire escape plan that everyone in your family has
Basic fire escape planning
- Walk through your home and inspect all possible exits and escape routes. Households
with children should consider drawing a floor plan of your home, marking two ways
out of each room, including windows and doors. Also, mark the location of each smoke
alarm. For easy planning, download NFPA´s escape plan grid at:
- Make sure that you have at least one smoke alarm on every level of your home.
- Choose an outside meeting place (i.e. neighbor's house, a light post, mailbox, or
stop sign) a safe distance in front of your home where everyone can meet after they've
escaped. Make sure to mark the location of the meeting place on your escape plan.
- Make sure that your house number is clearly visible from the road.
- If there are infants, older adults or family members with mobility limitations make
sure that someone is assigned to assist them in the event of an emergency.
- Be fully prepared for a real fire: when a smoke alarm sounds, get out immediately.
- Once out, stay out! Under no circumstances should you ever go back into a burning
- Practice your home fire escape plan twice a year, making the drill as realistic as
- Allow children to master fire escape planning and practice before holding a fire
drill at night when they are sleeping. The objective is to practice, not to frighten,
so telling children there will be a drill before they go to bed can be as effective
as a surprise drill. Continued ....
The Fire Prevention Bureau is responsible to ensure that our homes and businesses
are properly address fire safety. They check fire extinguishers, fire alarm devices
and all business and residential sales. They can be reached at 973-616-5918.