Our fire department was founded in June 1895 and incorporated in 1901. The meetings
were held in John P. Roome’s Hotel, n the corner of Lakeside and Colfax Ave. The
men present at this meeting were: John P. Roome, H.L.Wells, William Apgar, T.J.Lyons,
Richard Montanye, Edward Weatherwalks, T.F.Durling, James Fraser Sr, James Fraser
Jr., Silas M.Titus, Evan Lewis, and Joseph H.Florance. The first officers were:
T.J.Lyons,President; H.L.Wells, Secretary; and Joseph H.Florance ,Chief.
Chief Florance immediately called for a drill the first week they were formed, and
another was held, after the next meeting, in the open air “when a bonfire will be
made to give the boys a little practice at handling buckets.” J.P. Roome continued
to offer his room for meetings and a lot for a building “gratis” as long it was used
for the intended purpose.