Contact:  Mike Simone
site administrator

Pompton Lakes Volunteer Fire Department

P.O Box 74, 1 Passaic Ave.

Pompton Lakes, NJ 07442


Copyright 2009-2021, PLVFD
Home. From the Chief. Events. PLFD History. Apparatus. Floods. Shopping Center Fire. Recent Fire Events. Around the House. Drills. Engine 51. Truck 52. Engine 53. Rescue 54. Co. 5. News. Fire Prevention. Ladies Auxiliary. Links.
Continued from previous page

It's important to determine during the drill whether children and others can readily waken to the sound of the smoke alarm. If they fail to awaken, make sure that someone is assigned to wake them up as part of the drill and in a real emergency situation.

If your home has two floors, every family member (including children) must be able to escape from the second floor rooms. Escape ladders can be placed in or near windows to provide an additional escape route. Review the manufacturer's instructions carefully so you'll be able to use a safety ladder in an emergency. Practice setting up the ladder from a first floor window to make sure you can do it correctly and quickly. Children should only practice with a grown-up, and only from a first-story window. Store the ladder near the window, in an easily accessible location, so you don't have to search for it during a fire.

Always choose the escape route that is safest the one with the least amount of smoke and heat.  Everyone in the family should practice crawling on their hands and knees. By keeping your head low, you'll be able to breathe the "good" air that's closer to the floor.

Closing doors on your way out slows the spread of fire, giving you more time to safely

Fire Prevention

What is Carbon Monoxide and how do I prevent it?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death if you breathe it.  

CO from generators and auxiliary heating sources can build up in your home, garage, or camper and poison the people and animals inside.  If you must use an alternative source of fuel or electricity, be sure to use it only outside and away from open windows.

Every year, more than 500 people die from accidental CO poisoning.

How to Recognize CO Poisoning

Exposure to CO can cause loss of consciousness and death. The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. People who are sleeping or who have been drinking alcohol can die from CO poisoning before ever having symptoms. If you think you may have CO poisoning, consult a health care professional right away.

For additional information on fire escape planning go to:

http://www.nfpa.org/categoryList.asp?categoryID=1491& URL=Safety%20Information

For other information of interest, go to:  http://www.state.nj.us/dca/dfs/safetytips.htm

For more information on carbon monoxide poisoning go to:        http://www.cdc.gov/CDCTV/QuietKiller/

New activities for the kids to do to learn about fire safety and other things while having a little fun:

http://smokeybear.com/kids/default.asp?j s=1